Artist Statement: On many occasions during my childhood I would lay on the hardwood floor and flip through the latest Sears catalog. The economical black and white illustrations were a catalyst for my imagination. I have an affinity for combining elements and concepts that don’t traditionally go together. My current body of work is a distillery of idiosyncrasies and archetypes from my childhood. In many of my works, vintage wallpaper is used to build up layers of images to suggest the interior soul of a home and of ourselves. In recall mode, visual elements are morphed into visual storytelling, resulting in a tale of the human condition.
Artist Bio: Dan Bynum was born in Birmingham, Alabama. After graduating with honors from the Art Studio Program at The University of Alabama at Birmingham, he continued his passion for art at Sotheby’s Institute of Art. Since 1998, he has been featured in dozens of solo and group shows in various cities, with artwork represented nationally in numerous private and corporate collections. Dan’s love for his hometown and the South is evident in his art.
Special Accomplishments & Exhibitions:
• Roundabout Reasonings, The Arts Company, Nashville, Tennessee, 2018
• Discover: New Work by Dan Bynum, Estel Gallery, Nashville, Tennessee, 2011
• Branded Innocence, Bare Hands Gallery, Birmingham, Alabama, 2008
• Made in Birmingham, Space 301, Mobile, Alabama, 2006
• UAB Palliative Care Unit, Corporate Art Collection Purchase, Birmingham, Alabama, 2006
• BMI, Corporate Art Collection Purchase, Nashville, Tennessee, 2006
• The Rain Event, The Contemporary Arts Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2004
• Magic City Art Connection BBVA Compass Award of Distinction 2014, Portico Art Merit Award 2005, Collector Art Award 2003, AmSouth Art Merit Award 2002, and Director’s Circle Emerging Artist Award 1999, Birmingham, Alabama